Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Daughters

As I get ready to flop in bed, I have reflected on my day spent with my youngest daughter. I am not sure she planned to spend the enitre day with me when she stopped in looking for my help with something, however as the events played out, we ended up sharing the day and evening and it was such a blessing to me.

We are both of the similar character which can be quite interesting as together we can be like the best of fireworks, brilliant white sparkles in the sky or red hot blasts of shooting stars. I being the mature one (??) have learned to be gentle and humble in my relationship with her. Reasoning as I often do, I determined that my many years of being "the boss" teaching her how to do things "the right way" (MY way) are worn out and it's been best for me to work on the humble, gentle motherly ways. I now usually listen and gently remind her that things turn out better when we are even just a little humble. Either I have learned to balance our personalities or she has given up fiercely debating with me!!

I am continually reminded of the slight failure of my attempts to "let go" and allow my girls to make it "their" way. I still find myself doing things that must send messages that they are still my "little" girls , which by the way is how we ended spending the enitre day together. I had decided she "needed me" to go with her on her drive into the country..."just in case I said"!

I remember my father sharing many years ago "no matter how old you are, you will always be my child. When you are 50 I will still be the father and you the child". I guess he was right, I am sure I will always look at my children and see them just that way despite how hard I try to see them as grown up 22 & 31 year olds! I did my best to train them, teach them the right way. We never stop teaching them and I thank God for the blessing of the four children He allowed me to teach, guide and love.

Now I will have to see what my other daughter needs me to share with her this week!!

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it" Proverbs 22:6

No comments: